Presentations now available from: Research and Collaboration Opportunities for School in a Box projects across a range of contexts
Issued 27 May 2015
School in a Box (SIAB), developed by IADT Dun Laoghaire, is a mobile solar powered digital education solution suitable for any learning environment in remote locations without access to electricity. The technology consists of an iPad connected to a powerful projector and powered by a solar battery and solar panel.
The ethos of School in a Box is in community engagement and capacity building, working with a Design Driven Innovation (DDI) approach to providing a solution for the needs of end users; from primary school teachers and students high in the Himalayas, to young mothers or illiterate farmers in remote villages in Mozambique, to teachers in over-crowded low resource classrooms.
SIAB works with on-the-ground educational and community partners to assess needs and co-design technology deployment, training and content suitable for the environment, everyday constraints and most immediate needs of end-users.
On the 14 May last, the Education Study Group of DSA Ireland hosted a seminar with the following key objectives:
- to invite further development and evaluation from DSA members on the SIAB project
- to highlight opportunities for researchers to participate in the project in pilot testing, evaluation and potential development of SIAB.
- to invite practitioners to be involved in field testing opportunities.
- to highlight the scope of the project as an example of HE engagement in an overseas context.
The presentations made at this seminar are now available:
- 'School in a Box Project' - Linda O'Sullivan, Creative Manager FIS & School in a Box
- 'Camara Education' - Maureen O'Donnell, Head of European and Carribbean Services, Camara
- 'Fast Forward:
The Education Study Group brings together both academic and NGO interests to address education issues in the context of international development. If you would like to join the Education Study Group, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.